Friday, July 18, 2008

Amanda Quick's "The Third Circle"

The Third Circle (Arcane Society, Book 4) The Third Circle by Amanda Quick


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Another installment in the Arcane Society series--this one set later in the reign of Queen Victoria. It was pretty standard Amanda Quick for the most part. A little better on plot than some (there were actually a couple of minor plot twists I didn't see coming), a little weaker on romance than others (seemed rushed & almost forced--not as believable as is her usual style). Not her best work, by any means, but an interesting addition to the series--made me want to go back and brush up on the details from previous installments. I won't bother to buy it, but I'm not sorry I read a library copy.

It does have mention of some sexual content as well as paranormal abilities (crystal energy, para-hypnotism, etc.), so if you're recommending it to someone else, you should be aware of that. I think Quick overuses the word "psychical"--which doesn't even seem like a real word to me--but at least it wasn't quite as noticeable & irritating in this books as in some of her earlier works.

I'd give it 2 1/2 stars if I could. But since I have to choose, I'd say it's closer to 3 than to 2.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment