Thursday, August 7, 2008

Things Not Seen

Things Not Seen Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved reading Andrew Clements' Frindle last year, so when I saw a new copy of Things Not Seen on the new YA fiction book cart, I picked it up. The fact that we'd worn out our old copies and had to order new ones for the library is usually a good sign when choosing which YA (young adult) books to read. And so it proved to be in this case.

Our Hero is Bobby Phillips, an ordinary teenager who wakes up one morning to discover that his metaphorical invisibility has become literal. Clements does a fantastic job of bringing to life the mixed emotions and frustrations a teenager (or anyone) would actually feel when faced with such gigantic, life-altering dilemma. How would you cope? Whom could you trust?

I appreciated that Clements avoided the cliche of the teenage-boy-in-the-girls'-locker-room fantasy. And I appreciated his depiction of the growing relationship between the girl who couldn't see and the boy who couldn't be seen. It was hard for me to put this book down and return to work after my lunch hours were over.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment