Thursday, February 23, 2012

Once Upon Stilettos

Once Upon Stilettos (Enchanted, Inc., #2)Once Upon Stilettos by Shanna Swendson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


4.5 stars, really

I read the first book in this series, Enchanted, Inc., a couple of years ago, immediately put the rest of the series on my to-read list, and then forgot about them until last week. I'm so glad I ran across them in my list because they are such fun! It's hard to categorize this series because it's got mystery without any murder, romance without sex (at least so far), magic that hovers between "magical realism" and "fantasy," and humor without overt slapstick, etc. They are just FUN. And hard to put down. This one kept me up until after midnight on a work night.

Katie Chandler is a nonmagical person living in New York City, working for a magical company as a Verifier...because she is immune to magic and can see through illusions, survive magical fireballs, and so on. Her boss is Merlin (yep, that one), and she has a major crush on a wizard coworker but is dating a lawyer who is also an Immune. Strange things are an everyday occurrence for Katie, but things get even stranger when she's tasked with finding the corporate spy while dealing with her parents' visit, a sudden loss of magical immunity, and a just-as-sudden spike in popularity amongst the opposite sex.

For readers' advisors: story and character doorways, as well as setting (weird things are the norm in Times Square, right?)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment