Saturday, April 16, 2016

Big Red Tub

Big Red TubBig Red Tub by Julia Jarman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Stan and Stella are joined in the big red tub by all sorts of animals, until the suds and waves catapult them around the world (twice) and a flock of flamingos tows them home again.

The imagination displayed is great, and it has plenty of repetition, which is fun for a storytime, but the rhythm of the words falters too often for it to be a great choice. I used it with preschoolers, and they really liked it, despite my stumbling over the text more than I'd prefer. This one takes far more memorization and practice to smoothly read aloud than I'd counted on. I keep wanting to rewrite the lines so that they flow naturally.

It's not a bad choice for reading (slowly and carefully!) with your children or grandchildren--it's pretty cute--but I am returning it to the staff library instead of keeping it with my go-to storytime collection.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment