Saturday, May 7, 2016

Little Chickies/Los Pollitos

Canticos: Los Pollitos / Canticos: Little ChickiesCanticos: Los Pollitos / Canticos: Little Chickies by Susie Jaramillo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Delightful! ¡Encantador!

What a sweet little book and a clever way to promote bilingual reading experiences to small children. First you read the book straight through in one language (English or Spanish), then when you get to the end, turn the page and read it straight through in the second language. It's printed very cleverly in an accordion format to facilitate this, according to this video. No awkward repetition or lingering on the same pages too long while trying to read in both languages at the same time--I think my daughter will love it instead of getting bored or confused like with other bilingual books!

The book is based on a song, and it looks like the last page of the book contains information on how to find the song online so you can sing the lyrics as well as reading them. Singing is great for helping children break down words into their smaller sounds--an important early literacy skill!

Once I get to see a physical copy, my rating might go up to 5 stars, but I've only seen an ebook version so far, courtesy of NetGalley & the publisher, so I don't yet know how sturdy the flaps and wheels are. Many thanks to NetGalley & Canticos for the ARC!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment