Thursday, March 6, 2008

More on RSS feeds

I've now subscribed to a "lucky" 13 RSS feeds for my Bloglines account. When I am supposed to have time to read all the new posts, I haven't yet figured out. But at least they are there and waiting for me.

I tried both ways to find feeds to add--I went directly to some sites and I used links from Bloglines and from the LISwiki to locate others. I'm not a huge fan of using the LISwiki, as it turns out, because it's just one huge long list with very little information on each one, and I didn't have the patience to try out every single link to see if it was something I wanted to read. Then again, it did gather a bazillion blogs in one place, which is good when you're like me and not aware of the existence of most of them so can't go directly to very many.

I can see how it would be useful for library websites to have RSS feeds, though. Particularly from their Events pages so that information could be pushed to patrons who subscribe to their library's feed. Maybe it could increase awareness of library programs and therefore boost attendance. At least with the younger crowd. Maybe not so much the average senior citizen. I can't see my mom using the internet in any form to get her library event information. But I think RSS has great potential for teens and gen-Xers like me. And whatever we're now calling the generation between the two. (Or are today's teens still part of the Gen-Y/Millenials?)

No comments:

Post a Comment