Monday, May 23, 2011

Dark Mirror

Dark Mirror (Dark Passage, #1)Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I was SO excited for this book to come out because I love Mary Jo Putney's books, and I enjoy YA fiction, but this book was really a watered down version of her Guardians series, and I was quite disappointed. Everything felt too easy, too glib. Putney is known for the depth of her characters and character development, and most of that was lacking this time. The premise of the story was interesting--members of the British aristocracy discovered to have magical talents are sent to a prison-like school to be "cured," but a group of rebel students work to develop their talents instead and end up traveling through time to save England--and sometimes got exciting, but much of the time I found myself rolling my eyes and/or gritting my teeth. These teenagers adjusted to "modern conveniences," inventions, and socio-political changes WAY too easily to be believable. The pace was a little too fast. The romance seemed shallow. The book wasn't precisely bad...just lacking in depth and nuance.

On the other hand, I might be judging harshly because my expectations were so high to begin with. And I probably will read the sequel.

For readers' advisors: story doorway, with setting secondary (Regency & WWII)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment