Monday, September 3, 2012

I Love the Earl

I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5)I Love the Earl by Caroline Linden
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I can't remember exactly how I came to download this ebook. Perhaps it was mentioned on Facebook? But I didn't realize until I'd finished it that it was only a novella. Which is fine--I just wish I'd known. Ah, well.

I liked the concept: spinster sister and bachelor brother unexpectedly inherit a fortune and, in the case of the brother, a title. The new duke decides to give his sister a 40,000 L dowry, which attracts the fortune-hunters. Conflict arises between the siblings when he objects to her choice.

I wasn't sure I would like the book when Rhys, the impoverished earl, acted like an arrogant jerk at a garden party. His "you are destined to be mine" attitude rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps it was meant to be romantic, but it felt like a power play.

However, that attitude disappeared, and the story improved. Plus I appreciated Margaret's maturity and independence.

For readers' advisors: story & character doorways, with setting doorway as well, since it was set in mid-18th century England.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment