Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Cat Trick

Cat Trick: A Magical Cats MysteryCat Trick: A Magical Cats Mystery by Sofie Kelly
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Several of Kathleen's friends and acquaintances are involved with putting on the upcoming food tasting event organized by former Mayville Heights resident Mike Glazer. The goal is to bring tourism dollars to local businesses, but Mike is rubbing everyone the wrong way and feathers are ruffled all over town. When one of Kathleen's cats discovers Mike's body inside one of the big tents, there are almost too many suspects to choose from. As usual, despite Detective Marcus Gordon's request for Kathleen to stay out of his case, she gets involved anyway and, predictably, gets hurt, in more ways than one.

I do enjoy listening to this series during my commutes, but I am totally on Marcus's side here: Kathleen has GOT to learn to trust him! I have no problem with her doing a little investigating on her own; I just grind my teeth and holler at my stereo every time she drags her feet on sharing what she's learned. It's so frustrating! When will she ever learn that holding back NEVER ends well?

This book is pretty sedately paced most of the time--it's more about the relationships than the action--which is completely fine with me, in theory. I just wish it wouldn't be "two steps forward, three steps back" with Marcus and Kathleen. There is finally a kiss! And then a big fight. *sigh* Yes, she did call him (last) before heading out the door to prevent a suicide and later to confront the killer. It's not enough, though. Marcus can tell she lacks faith in him, and it ruins their budding relationship (for the time being).

For readers' advisors: character doorway is primary. No sex or swearing, and the only violence was some arm-twisting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment