Friday, August 9, 2019

Glasswings: A Butterfly's Story

Glasswings: A Butterfly's StoryGlasswings: A Butterfly's Story by Elisa Kleven
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this book to my daughter's preschool class when they were learning about butterflies and insects, and the kids really enjoyed it, although they were very concerned when Claire, the glasswing butterfly, got separated from her family. It's a nice story that highlights how butterflies and other insects & birds benefit gardens: pollinating the flowers, eating insect pests, and spreading seeds. The part of the story where Claire's extended family finds her in the city was rather improbable, but it did reassure and calm the worried children.

When reading to an individual child and not a group, I'd suggest taking a lot more time to look at the beautiful illustrations and talk about what is going on in the background, such as the community members working on the garden.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment