Saturday, May 29, 2021

Ways to Make Sunshine

Ways to Make SunshineWays to Make Sunshine by Renée Watson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ryan Hart loves to cook and experiment with unusual flavor combinations. She has a real talent for the culinary arts (too bad that's hard to translate to a Talent Show stage). However, Ryan's love of ice cream takes a beating when her favorite treat is used to soften the blow that her family will be moving to a new (old) house. On the plus side, she'll be at the same school where she's in the 4th grade, it's closer to her friend KiKi's house, and she'll have her own room. On the minus side, the house is smaller and decidedly NOT the only home she's ever known, the center of her memories. But her father's new job pays less than his old one with the post office, so they can't stay where they are.

My daughter and I absolutely LOVED this book. My son got bored because there weren't enough illustrations (he's only 4), so my daughter (age 7 1/2) & I read it on the nights my son fell asleep early. Ryan is a delightful character, and we couldn't wait to find out how she navigated the ups and downs of moving house, a mysterious keepsake tin, Easter Sunday recitation disasters, the school talent show, friendships, and birthday parties with jealous girls. My daughter identified with so many universal aspects of the story, but the scenes related to Ryan's hair were a revelation to my blond, straight-haired daughter, and it was the perfect way to introduce the concept of different hair types and reactions to water. Most of the characters are African-American, and some secondary characters are bi-racial or white.

One thing we especially loved were all the local references. The book is firmly and accurately set in Portland, Oregon, with mentions of so many real places ("I've been there, Mommy!"), it really added to the story for us. Probably more so for me than for my daughter, who is young enough not to remember going to a few of the places, particularly since we haven't gone *anywhere* since the pandemic began. But I think the only place I haven't been from all those referenced in the story was the North Portland Library, although I've been to several other branches. I certainly understood the nuances of Amanda's family moving to Lake Oswego to a huge house with an indoor pool--my husband and I used to live near some of those, and more recently we used to drive past some of them on the way to LOHS for the kids' swimming lessons.

We are looking forward to reading book #2 in the series, Ways to Grow Love, which we immediately put on hold at the library as soon as we finished book #1 last night.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment